Double Exposure, Inc.
  • November 15, 2018, 08:57:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WISH LIST: What would you like to watch at Double Exposure events?  (Read 12688 times)

Dr. Steed

• Assistant Director of Electronic Gaming
  • Super Meeper
  • I fight for the Users.
    • OracleNet
Re: WISH LIST: What would you like to watch at Double Exposure events?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 02:34:26 PM »

I know it's not technically anime... but I'd like to see "ReBoot" screened at a future event. I have fond memories of seeing the Anime Room screen ReBoot Season 3 at Spectrum back in 1998.

I'm an original-run 'booter (watched 1x01 on first airing and followed the series ever since - including trying to get Gavin Blair to make a pitch to CBS, for all the good that it did...) - the tapes at Spectrum were YTV Canada imports, because the series wasn't released in the US back then - and seeing the "season not released in America" of the show was a real treat for me. Could be interesting for Anime to run these, as - since Cartoon Network cancelled ReBoot - no American station airs this show anymore. Plus... well, it's the first CGI-only series ever created. That's gotta count for something. ;-)

I did a "private screening" of ReBoot Season 4 at one of the Avatar Events I ran (DobaCon III), and ended up with 20+ people crammed into my hotel room. Granted that this happened a few years ago, but it was a big hit.

ReBoot Season 4 is designed to be run as two self-contained feature-length movies - "Daemon Rising" (4x01 - 4x04) and "My Two Bobs" (4x05 - 4x08) - so this might be applicable to the Anime Suite.

If media is a problem, Season 3 is available on DVD. If Anime would prefer a more cost-effective and more complete selection, I have the entire run of ReBoot on VHS tape (Seasons 1-3 in varying air-quality - average is "very good cable quality", all are completely watchable - and Season 4 all in extremely-high-quality).

I'd be more than happy to loan out my tapes. And, if necessary, I could cough up a spare VCR and wiring.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2005, 02:44:32 PM by Dr. Steed »
"There are no experimental failures, only more data."
-Bryce Lynch

Double Exposure Electronic Gaming - Omnis vestia substructio es servus ad nobis.

Malak the Mad

• Junior Meeper
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 05:37:17 AM »

I know it's not technically anime... but I'd like to see "ReBoot" screened at a future event. I have fond memories of seeing the Anime Room screen ReBoot Season 3 at Spectrum back in 1998.

That was me who showed it. At that time I only had the first story arc (3.1) from my source who was getting them from a friend in Canada.

Diane Sodher and I ran the entire run of the third season at Lunacon later that year. Since it was an "exclusive premier" I photoshop'd posters using Mainframe Entertainment publicity art and edited a compilation of the last four episodes of the second season. A lot of work, it was, and it paid off in spades! We were, with no exaggeration, packed to 'standing room only' capacity. People there wanted to see it that much! It was so awesome!!

Ever since then I've made it a point to bring ReBoot 3 and 4 with me to the video room in case anyone wants to watch it during the late night "Viewer's Choice" block. If enough people showed an interest in seeing it during regularly scheduled room times I might consider putting it on. Maybe during the "Nostalgia @ Noon" block. We'll see what people have to say. I'll be wrapping up the schedule for Dreamation in mid to late December so if there's any support for this idea, just post it here or send me a message.

Till then, be seeing you...
Brian T. Price
Malak the Mad

Dr. Steed

• Assistant Director of Electronic Gaming
  • Super Meeper
  • I fight for the Users.
    • OracleNet
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2005, 05:39:16 PM »

Holy Crap - Brian!? That was *you* who did ReBoot at Spectrum!?

Dude. *Thank you.* Had it not been for that, I wouldn't have known about the Third Season, and would have lost all faith in the franchise.

Please do keep bringing that media to cons. If I'm off-duty during Viewer's Choice at DREMATION, I'll put my vote in for the Mainframers! :-)
"There are no experimental failures, only more data."
-Bryce Lynch

Double Exposure Electronic Gaming - Omnis vestia substructio es servus ad nobis.

Oni no Ted

• Super Meeper
  • War never changes
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2005, 01:36:00 AM »

Magnos was so horrible I think it actually has a permanent spot within the Cherry Hill Experiment, or so I've heard. It includes such wonderful pieces of sub-human insanity as this...
I've seen it and have the dead brain cells to prove it!

Speaking of...  How about a Bad Anime slot?
Ted Mantuano

Malak the Mad

• Junior Meeper
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2005, 07:31:01 PM »

I've seen it and have the dead brain cells to prove it!

Speaking of...  How about a Bad Anime slot?

Ever since I decided to create 'block programming' for the anime room, I've been thinking about making one with just such a purpose. However, when it comes to excruciatingly bad anime as my resources are limited. I wouldn't want to run out of stuff over the course of a year's worth of cons. I'd probably have to do just one such slot over an entire weekend and find a good time for it.

For the enjoyment (re: agony) of as many people attending, I'd have to pick a time that won't conflict with big events such as Opening Ceremonies and the various LARP's. It may have to be sometime in the Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I would like to schedule it around 9 or 10 Saturday evening, but that conflicts with the LARP's. Maybe something later. Who knows?

I am, as always, open to input.
Till then, be seeing you...
Brian T. Price
Malak the Mad

---CURRENT 'BAD ANIME' TITLES---
Magnos
Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned
Darkside Blues
Attack of the Supermonsters
Vampire Wars
Battle Arena Toshinden (as if the anime wasn't bad enough, they cast Apollo Smile in the dub!)
Legend of the Crystals (Based on Final Fantasy)

Oni no Ted

• Super Meeper
  • War never changes
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2005, 11:48:53 PM »

---CURRENT 'BAD ANIME' TITLES---
Magnos
Dracula: Sovereign of the Damned
Darkside Blues
Attack of the Supermonsters
Vampire Wars
Battle Arena Toshinden (as if the anime wasn't bad enough, they cast Apollo Smile in the dub!)
Legend of the Crystals (Based on Final Fantasy)

How about Shinesman?
Ted Mantuano

Number Three

• Big Board Evil Minion
  • Monmouth R.P.S.
  • Junior Meeper
    • Role Playing Society of Monmouth County
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2005, 11:57:49 PM »

I can donate some bad Macross on VHS.  I own a U.S. release of "Superdimensional Fortress Macross: Do You Remember, Love?", a great looking movie saddled with a gawd-awful English education dub done in Australia, plus all of "Macross II" on two tapes, a badly done (and dubbed) OAV sequel to the movie continuity.  I think the owners of the I.P. created "movie continuity" just to distance themselves from that dog.
"You see sometimes when an owl loves a bear, very much, and they make a commitment, they do what we in arcane circles call… the nasty. A couple months later, a few spells here and their and, hey!  You got yourselves an owlbear.  And dammit, they are delicious" - Hennet, Iconic Sorcerer

Malak the Mad

• Junior Meeper
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2005, 02:26:37 AM »

I forgot to add "Macross II" to the list o' badness. I got it off one of the tertiary movie channels (I think it was Showtime Beyond, they're pretty anime-friendly) in movie format with no episode breaks.

The one and only good thing I can say about "Macross II" is that it's badness is inversely proportional to the awesomeness of "Macross Plus". Shoji Kawamori, the mecha designer for the original TV series, must've been so offended that he stepped up and wrote/directed the best (in my opinion) Macross sequel ever. To add to his credit, he also brought Yoko Kanno (Cowboy BeBop, Ghost In The Shell TV, etc...) on board spawning one of the best soundtracks ever.

As far as dubbing goes, I don't hold the original producers to task for something that was beyond their control. Such greats as "Akira" and "Galaxy Express" (where they gave Harlock a John Wayne voice!) cannot be judged by the mishandling of a few ignorant and lazy americans.

What I seek are shows that never should've seen the light of day. Titles that are so mind-numbingly putrid that they curdle fresh milk, peel paint off walls and make Baby Jesus cry. Utter dreck!

---end of line---

Number Three

• Big Board Evil Minion
  • Monmouth R.P.S.
  • Junior Meeper
    • Role Playing Society of Monmouth County
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2005, 11:44:16 PM »

Have to agree with you in "Macross Plus".  I still need to get me one of those bad-ass die-cast transforming VF-19s.

As for the dubs not making the Baby $DEITY cry, have you heard the DYRL? dub, a.k.a. "Clash of the Bionoids"?
"You see sometimes when an owl loves a bear, very much, and they make a commitment, they do what we in arcane circles call… the nasty. A couple months later, a few spells here and their and, hey!  You got yourselves an owlbear.  And dammit, they are delicious" - Hennet, Iconic Sorcerer

Malak the Mad

• Junior Meeper
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2005, 12:57:23 AM »

Heard of it? Oh, yeah! It's one of the first animes I ever threw money down to own. I bought it back in 1986 at a Creation Con in Washington DC. Damn thing cost me thirty or fourty bucks. But ya know what? I haven't regretted it for one day. Anime was very scarce for me at that time and I'd take just about anything I could get my hands on. I still have my copy buried away somewhere.

Lame dub? Sure, but so what. It was anime. And not just any anime. It was the purer strain from which Robotech was built on.

Japanese subtitles on the bottom? Yes indeed, but so what. IT WAS ANIME! (DYRL and Megazone 23 Part II were an attempt to teach kids english through anime)

That purchase also got me interested in classical music. Not the movie, but the previews after the credits. There was a promo clip from My Youth In Arcadia with music from Antonin Dvorak's 9th Symphony "From the New World", an excellent piece of work that I highly recommend to anyone interested in classical.

Last note, Clash of the Bionoids was released by some kids video company along with My Youth In Arcadia, Locke - The Superman and a few other titles. They took pre-existing dubs, cut out almost all the violence (especially the graphic stuff) and then cut even more content to cram it into a ninety minute or less product. Arcadia is over two hours long. You can imagine that the continuity suffered just a little bit.

Malak the Mad

• Junior Meeper
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2005, 12:59:35 AM »

Have to agree with you in "Macross Plus".  I still need to get me one of those bad-ass die-cast transforming VF-19s.

YEAH BABY! THE YF-19 IS ONE OF THE MOST GODLIKE MECHAS EVER DESIGNED!!!  ;D

CassieMcCullin

• Mad Scientist
  • Senior Meeper
    • House Octagon
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2005, 04:09:40 AM »

How about Shinesman?

Hey! I *liked* Shinesman!
Cassie McCullin
House Octagon
Royal Flush Gang, Ace of Hearts

"'Do you believe in God?' written on the bullet
And Cassie pulled the trigger." - Flyleaf, "Cassie"

Malak the Mad

• Junior Meeper
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2005, 05:24:46 AM »

I agree. What parts of Shinesman I've seen are great. I especially loved the 'meishi' scene with the business card.

However, I can see how some people might not care for it. It's filled with a lot of obscure (by western standards) cutural references and satire.

So, although it's a little wierd, I'm afraid it lacks the repugnance necessary to make the "BAD ANIME" list.

Please keep the suggestions coming. I'm always in the market for stinkaroos I've yet seen.

Felicia

• Senior Meeper
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2005, 10:58:13 AM »

Guys--

I know this will probably sound *really* cheesy, but I have a certain fondness for the old "Voltron" episodes that used to be on TV back in the 80's.  If it ends up in the bad amine slot, so be it...

Felicia

Malak the Mad

• Junior Meeper
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2005, 01:49:09 PM »

Voltron, eh? 'Fraid not.

The original "Go Lion" series was pretty decent in it's day. I'm not sure if it would withstand the test of time, but I can't hold what was a good show responsible for it's adaptation. Smoothing over all the violence was pretty typical in the early 80's. Yes, it made the show corny, but does it deserve to be shown as an example of a truly horrible anime? I think not.

As far as the "Vehicle Voltron" goes, it's original show "Dai-Ruger 15" (or as we like to call it, "Dai-Luggage 15") was pretty dull in it's pre-american form, but not mind-numbingly bad enough that keeps you watching just to see how stupid it gets.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up