Double Exposure, Inc.
  • September 24, 2018, 07:12:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Study on Distracted driving laws  (Read 2172 times)

Felicia

• Senior Meeper
Study on Distracted driving laws
« on: January 29, 2010, 04:08:12 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100129/ap_on_hi_te/us_tec_distracted_driving_study

Based on my personal observations, it helps if said laws are actually ENFORCED....

Horace

• Senior Staff
  • Senior Meeper
Re: Study on Distracted driving laws
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 11:36:22 PM »

The idea that we need laws to tell people to not send/recieve text messages while driving is quite disturbing.
If it didnt put intelligent people at risk, I'd say let them text and drive, and thus reduce the risk of passing on that particular "stupid" gene.
I'm not really as scary as some people think I am. (re something Julie said to me at reg one night)

Having seen a video (Thanks dave and CAH) I now understand why she said that.

Mack Ravensline

• Super Meeper
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 12:01:32 PM »

The idea that we need laws to tell people to not send/recieve text messages while driving is quite disturbing.
If it didnt put intelligent people at risk, I'd say let them text and drive, and thus reduce the risk of passing on that particular "stupid" gene.
Careful that is just a step away from Eugenics which is a main component of Progressivism. But seriously, Texting while driving is becoming a more and more serious problem. People are trying to do more and more stuff while doing less and less stuff well. Trying to cram more stuff into your day only helps if you do it well enough to matter. It is a thing many Americans have not learned yet.

Felicia

• Senior Meeper
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 04:22:51 PM »

What really irritated me about this story is that the texting/cell phone bans are yet another case of laws being passed, but not enforced.  More "feel-good legislation" to make people think that something is actually being done to address concerns.

Every day that I am on the roads, I see people flouting the "hands free device" law here in NJ.  I've had several near-misses with distracted drivers.  The worst part about it is that these morons do not have any issues with their potentially lethal behavior.

Mack Ravensline

• Super Meeper
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 08:37:02 AM »

Yes, our politicians are great at putting laws on the books that look good for their voting record, and are good for making them look good but are ultimately not enforced. Until these laws are enforced and the penalties are put out fairly, they are useless. Many of the laws on the books are either not enforced at all or under enforced. We do not usually need more laws, just more enforcement.

Fox McCloud

• Dobakiin
  • Senior Staff
  • Mega Meeper
  • Double Exposure Secret Police
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »

I was driveing my BRIGHT ORANGE TRUCK down route 73 going fifty miles per hour and some jerkoff flew out in front of me.  I was paying attention so I layed on the brakes and steered it out of the way.  At that point I was pissed, but then I look over and see the douche nugget on the cell phone.  I am also a motorcycleist and if people on the phone cant see my truck, how in the hell are they gonna see a small sportbike that attentive drivers tend to not see.  It's a problem and being in the younger genration of people there are alot of text and drive type people.  I give all my friends shit for it.

At the same time.  There are so many cars on the road, cops cant keep up and stop all of them (or even a decent amout,  enough to make it worth it.).  It is not an easy infraction to spot. 
"What the lion cannot manage to do, the Fox can."  -German Proverb

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting by fools."
Thucydides

"House Ares!  HOAH!"

Felicia

• Senior Meeper
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 09:34:48 PM »

I disagree.  If you're driving in such a manner that you present a clear danger to everyone else on the road, even a lobotomized idiot can spot that behavior.  I think that fear of lawsuits prevents some traffic stops.  Also, some police departments are stretched very thin in dealing with offenses that are more serious than traffic issues.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 10:50:26 PM by Felicia »

Horace

• Senior Staff
  • Senior Meeper
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 12:08:04 AM »

Mark, Not Eugenics, but Natural selection. My plan would allow them to remove themselves from the gene pool. Eugenics would be shooting them when you see them texting while driving. Maybe that could be a new olympic sport? Kind of a take off on death race 2k?
Extra points for not getting their head stuffing (it sure aint brain) on the apholstery. (upholstery?)
I'm not really as scary as some people think I am. (re something Julie said to me at reg one night)

Having seen a video (Thanks dave and CAH) I now understand why she said that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up