Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autumn  (Read 2957 times)

Salvius

• Administrator
  • Mega Meeper
    • Double Exposure, Inc.
Autumn
« on: October 17, 2005, 06:43:52 AM »

This past weekend, the wind howled, the leaves dropped, and the temperature seemed to have plummeted. Physically, all of it was a welcome relief from a terrible summer filled with heat and humidity. I even welcomed the rain when I wasn't getting drenched in it.

But fall always makes me melancholy. It reminds me of a part of my mind which yearns for simplicity. I wonder what it would have been like to be living 200, even 300 years ago, perhaps not in America, but in England or Ireland. The song "Harvest Home" by Steeleye Span plays in my mind.

We in 21st century America can't even fathom living in a place with no electricity, no tv, no phone, no computers, and no responsibilities other than to our home and our family. Communities would do what they needed to do to survive, work their farm or make candles, chop wood for the fireplace and then each night when the work was done, make dinner (a grand family event) and talk for the night, or read a rare book, of just stare at the fire. There was a sense of wholesomeness, of belonging in this setting, that I'll never know and that I assume none of you ever will either. We role play it often in the games we play - but imagine LIVING it for a whole year or more.

Perhaps this is why my greatest enjoyment of my extended family (all of you) comes not in running conventions or events at hotels, but in having people over to my house - for one of our big BBQs or our more intimate Holiday Party, or just a weekend of visitors and a poker game. I feel more wholesome - no responsibilities to anyone but ourselves and our home. And every once in a while, I step back and look at a living room filled with people, and I smile - and maybe it is shared with someone from the past (perhaps me in a former life?) who ran a household in a far away place, each year not even knowing what was going on in the next town, much less the government.

Put another log on the fire, and hold a cat.

>>>Vinny

GJSchaller

• Senior Staff
  • Senior Meeper
  • A Shrubbery!
Re: Autumn
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 03:04:51 PM »

It was once pointed out that a highly disproportionate number of SCA members were Information Technology professionals in thier day-to-day lives.  In a way, this makes sense to me - when you work with technology all day, the ability to escape it for a weekend, or even a week (Pennsic!), can be a godsend.  I know I feel this way on my weekend sojurns to boffer larps.  I would not be surprised if this applied to gamers in general as well.

That, and Autumn Food (Turkey, Pumpkin Pie, Hot Cider, etc.) always tastes the best.  ;D
Geoffrey J. Schaller
gjs@dexposure.com

njsurvivor

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 11:21:47 PM »

The holidays are definitely about togetherness, community, and simplicity.  I think technology takes away from it's true meaning.  I find that this time of year finds me pulling away from the computer, pulls me away from my cell phone.  It has me instead wrapped up in a comfy blanket, curled up in my favorite chair, watching tv and eating a nice big bowl of my mom's soup...

Frigemall

• Da Pope!
  • Super Meeper
  • Living on a bomb and a prayer
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 01:45:26 PM »

Perhaps this is why my greatest enjoyment of my extended family (all of you) comes not in running conventions or events at hotels, but in having people over to my house - for one of our big BBQs or our more intimate Holiday Party, or just a weekend of visitors and a poker game. I feel more wholesome - no responsibilities to anyone but ourselves and our home. And every once in a while, I step back and look at a living room filled with people, and I smile - and maybe it is shared with someone from the past (perhaps me in a former life?) who ran a household in a far away place, each year not even knowing what was going on in the next town, much less the government.

Put another log on the fire, and hold a cat.

>>>Vinny

Wait, is this the same Vinny that invites everyone in to see his cool sound system. hehe, I like spending time with friends and family as much as everyone, however lets not talk about ditching technology. I am not looking forward to Poker by candlelight LOL.

Horace

• Senior Staff
  • Senior Meeper
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 11:38:14 PM »

We in 21st century America can't even fathom living in a place with no electricity, no tv, no phone, no computers, and no responsibilities other than to our home and our family.....but imagine LIVING it for a whole year or more.
>>>Vinny

Well it wasnt a year, but one of the best summers of my life was spending most of the time between May 10 and Sept 15 in the Alaskan Bush.
With the exception of a daily radio check in, canned food, and a few other odds and ends, I suspect I came close.
I'm not really as scary as some people think I am. (re something Julie said to me at reg one night)

Having seen a video (Thanks dave and CAH) I now understand why she said that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up