Double Exposure, Inc.
  • September 24, 2018, 07:11:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to Vinny's Brain  (Read 4418 times)

Salvius

• Administrator
  • Mega Meeper
    • Double Exposure, Inc.
Welcome to Vinny's Brain
« on: August 30, 2005, 08:38:47 AM »

Hi folks.

So what is this all about. Well, through the years, I've been criticized for not being "accessible" and/or "understandable" to many people - as if I was on a pedestal somewhere and unreachable. I've taken steps in the past 7 years to correct this, but of course, the larger Double Exposure gets, the more difficult it is.

Double Exposure has TWO main strengths. One is the absolute way in which my vision permeates everything we do. The second is the way in which I and through proxy other senior staffers promote and encourage the community. I have seen many other groups who attempt to be "businesses" and never realize that it is the community of the group which will ultimately dictate its success of failure, never the corporate direction.

This latter policy leads to advantages and disadvantages. Advantages are obvious - for example, through the 17 years in which Double Exposure has been around, I am responsible for scores of close friendships, relationships, and even marriages - I'm very proud of that, and many people have fond memories of how they met because of me. The less-obvious disadvantages center around the democratic way in which the group operates - free speech allows for dissent and negative criticism. My goal has always been to address criticism, never to squelch it, as long as it is reasonable and has basis in fact. Sometimes I've failed at that, but most times I've succeeded.

Which brings me back to the point of this board. See, I have always enjoyed sharing my thoughts and engaging in debate with the people of DE; the problem is that there was no way to do it through Yahoo groups - Surely you remember the tone of my newsletters last year - it was done in such a way as to encourage feedback, but feedback was not practical. The reason for this is that a single Yahoo Group such as dexposure, or even avatar-ooc was linear - meaning that if I sent out something to the group, everyone would be forced to get it. And while I'm sure that there many of you who would have enjoyed reading my ramblings, I'm equally sure that there are many of you who would not, and be very tempted to leave the group to avoid them - hence giving up the important announcements as well.

And so we now have a forum. And this forum has one outstanding benefit over any yahoogroup - people can CHOOSE what they read. So I can feel free to ramble in this board and you can feel free to ignore it or read it at your whim. And nobody has to give up the important stuff.

My purpose here is very simple. To think out loud on whatever I am currently mulling, and to share those thoughts with anyone who is interested. I belive that this process will bring me closer to some of you, and make me more understandable, and in so doing, hopefully foster an even tighter community - no matter how big Double Exposure gets.

Feel free to comment on ANYTHING I post here, even to call me a raving lunatic. Oh wait, that would be a compliment.

Your thoughts?

>>>Vinny

D

Re: Welcome to Vinny's Brain
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 09:41:11 AM »

Vinny, you're a raving lunatic!  (Hey somebody had to do it!)

-D

Tiny

• Senior Staff
  • Super Meeper
    • Face Book
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 03:00:42 PM »

So, what your saying is that this will become your "Live Journal". A place for thoughts and Observations. I like the Idea.
Anthony 'Tiny" Acampora
Double Exposure VP & Convention Chairman

D

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 04:43:58 PM »

Tiny, you're a raving lunatic also!  (Hey this is fun!)

Linda Baldwin

• Administrator
  • Mega Meeper
  • DOBA!
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 05:08:56 PM »

::takes a quick peek in, opens her eyes ... and runs away screaming::

Linda
Linda Baldwin
Co-Director of Board Gaming

tdimiceli

• New Meeper
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 05:13:44 PM »

I've learned a few things from you Vinny.  One very important one is that you do things for the better of the group/hive mentality.  Thankfully you aren't on a high pedestal anymore.  Wait a minute..that means you are human...you don't have green blood????
Kidding aside, I have one question to ask...What happened to the AD&D team puzzle tournaments?(Other than the obvious that they stopped at Dexcon 6)  Personally I would like to see them come back.

Tim
Hollow is the tree, home to many beasts, rise to the heavens and roots to the river styx.

Salvius

• Administrator
  • Mega Meeper
    • Double Exposure, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2005, 06:04:12 PM »

I've learned a few things from you Vinny.  One very important one is that you do things for the better of the group/hive mentality.  Thankfully you aren't on a high pedestal anymore.  Wait a minute..that means you are human...you don't have green blood????
Kidding aside, I have one question to ask...What happened to the AD&D team puzzle tournaments?(Other than the obvious that they stopped at Dexcon 6)  Personally I would like to see them come back.

Tim
Hollow is the tree, home to many beasts, rise to the heavens and roots to the river styx.

I might bring them back, but they require a lot of work, and many dedicated GMs.

>>>Vinny

Sinkuu

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 12:01:47 AM »

I know it's a LONG ways off... but...

hope you guys pull out ALL the stops for Dex X.

I'm envisioning either Somerset or Edison... and I'm NOT talking hotels.  ;D

KevinM

• Junior Meeper
    • Delaware Valley Demonology Research
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 12:49:56 AM »

Hey I take offense at that whats wrong with being a raving lunatic?  I've been crazy for many years now and it seems to work just fine for me :)
"I am The Master, you will obey me"
Pages: [1]   Go Up