Double Exposure, Inc.
  • December 17, 2017, 12:41:39 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fantasy Tabletop  (Read 1110 times)

wcshoe

• Speaker for the Otters
  • Senior Staff
  • Mega Meeper
  • Not all guardian angels are pretty...
    • My Facebook
Fantasy Tabletop
« on: February 08, 2013, 04:03:11 PM »

It has been years since I actually did tabletop Fantasy RPG. When I last played, it wa 2nd Edition AD&D.

I am thinking about getting back into it. What system do you (anybody responding here) think is the best, and why? Ease of rules, affordability, and number of other players using it should weigh into your choice at some point.

Barbara

• Goddess of the Insane
  • Senior Meeper
Re: Fantasy Tabletop
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 02:55:40 PM »

I play Pathfinder which according to my friends is D&D light...(I don't know I have only played D&D a couple of times) I guess it all depends on the GM too.

Hope that helps!

Felicia

• Senior Meeper
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 07:30:39 PM »

I haven't personally played Pathfinder, but I've heard good things from seasoned gamers whose opinions I trust (mechanics, ease of play, etc.).  I did play D&D up to 3.5.  I don't remember much difference between 3.0 and 3.5 from a player's perspective.  However, I don't know of anyone playing it in my area.  Then again, I do live in a sort of black hole for that kind of stuff.

I heard a lot of negative things about D&D 4.0, and when I looked at the Player's Guide, I was not at all impressed.

Compsci1550

• Junior Meeper
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »

Only good thing about 4th Ed D&D that characters were not one hit wonders in their first encounter.  The whole "use cards" to control your actions was more hassle than the good old list of things you could do, what was your to hit number and what was the range of damage or other effects.  I have most stuff from AD&D (2nd Ed) through 4th and I like the original Vanilla settings:  Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and Blackmoor (ok Outdoor Adventure from Avalon Hill).  My personal favorite was Dragonlance, but Forgotten Realms still plays wells in all versions.

I have the Pathfinder base book, so for getting into a table top RPG cheap, that and the independent title of The Secret Fire plays ok too.  So if you good to Dreamation 2013 or Dexcon 16, try the R series events for Pathfinder or The Secret Fire.

Original_Animal

• New Meeper
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 01:42:13 PM »

Understanding several factors.  I am dangerously assuming that you are looking for a pure swords and sorcery.  Much of the genre has been infected by a WoWesque love for low technology.  Dark Urth tries to bridge the love for both in a world stricken mad with the tides of a war of vengeance, and hatred.  Outlying villages are either forgotten or razed.  Unknown armies are on the march, and you are a hero (or well you may be one day).  Players do not start as a Class, they start with a background, and based on the choices they make during their life they will choose perks that grant abilities or advancement of abilities that make you the hero YOU want to be.  The i-luminate system uses a standard deck of 54 (52 plus both jokers) playing cards for randomization.  First sales will be at Dexcon 17 on July 4th weekend if you desire to try it before you buy it.  Otherwise you can partake in our world lore and history building playtests that are going to be using a white board system for on-line participation.  You can contact me Michael Conway at illuminarchy@yahoo.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up